As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you a gun enthusiast who wants to keep the guns in excellent condition? Protecting guns from rust and corrosion is essential to maintain them in good shape.
Rust is produced due to the reaction between certain metals present in the gun and atmospheric oxygen. This iron oxide gradually accumulates on your gun to make it more and more fragile.
Storing guns inappropriate way can save them from getting rusted. In this article, I have covered the best way to store guns to prevent rust.
Some Tips and Tricks for Storing Guns to Prevent Rust
Here is all you need to know about storing your guns to prevent any rust from building inside your firearms.
Always Use the Right Case and Safe for Your Guns
The most significant factor that causes rusting is moisture. Therefore, once you buy a gun, it is necessary to choose a suitable gun safe. Using a gun safe with a dehumidifier ensures that the guns are destroyed by excessive moisture in the atmosphere.
A gun safe is constructed with the property of repelling moisture. Therefore they do not let the humidity reach your guns. It keeps them shining like brand new.
The hard case is also necessary for preventing abrasion. Wipe the gun thoroughly before placing it in a gun case as it may have some traces of moisture and dirt on its surface.
The Right Place for Your Gun Safe
The gun safe is fundamental to protecting your guns from corrosion. However, the place where you keep your gun safe is also a significant consideration. It would be best to keep it in a place where humidity is under 50 – 55%, and the temperature does not exceed 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Avoid areas where there are even slight chances of water leakage.
Keep a Check on Moisture and Temperature
When you are keeping your gun in the gun safe, make sure it is clean and oiled. Place the gun safe in a dry, cool area of your house. It would be best if you made sure of measuring the surrounding temperature and humidity, preferably daily.
Use a humidity meter to monitor the humidity near and inside the gun safe. The dehumidifier also helps in reducing the atmospheric humidity around places where you are storing your guns.
- ✔ EASY TO USE: This mini dehumidifier is spill and mess free. Just hang and go! Non-toxic, child...
- ✔ MINI DEHUMIDIFIER GOES A LONG WAY: Super dry dehumidifier unit lasts 20-30 days before...
- ✔ SMALL, SLEEK DESIGN: This portable small design lets you hang or conveniently place the...
Invest in a Branded Dehumidifier to Keep Things Under Control
Most often, people who live in tropical regions find it difficult to keep the humidity under control. If you fear that humidity and condensation may cause your guns’ rusting, I suggest you invest in a reliable dehumidifier.
You can also make use of silica gel dehumidifiers for protecting your arms against rust. Once the gel beads become saturated with moisture, you will need to recharge the humidifier. It is better to keep the gun covered in a microfiber cloth to save it from excessive moisture.
Guns always last longer when their cleanliness is maintained. They require regular cleaning to prevent unwanted substances from accumulating on the gun’s surface. You can use a bore cleaner or invest in a reliable gun cleaning kit.
Wearing White Gloves
Moisture and oils are transferred from the skin on the surface of your gun. When you do not completely wipe them off the gun’s surface, they can become a source of corrosion and rust. Using gloves is the easiest solution to this problem. But I chose only white gloves! You don’t want your gun to catch dyes.
Try Rust Prevention Products
Specially designed for preventing metallic surfaces, these rust-preventing products are worth a try. An example is vapor capsules, which may accompany your guns in the gun safe. You can also choose products that give off vapor corrosion inhibitors (VPI) for protecting your guns.
Extra Care With Vacuum Sealed Bags
I often forget my guns in days of storms and heavy rains as I have too much to handle. During such weather, your guns are very likely to get rusted because moisture finds its way into the gun safe. Therefore, even before rains and storms, cover your guns in vacuum-sealed bags.
Please take out the guns, clean them again, and change their packing as soon as it gets over.
Never do this to your gun!
Some of your habits may be damaging your guns before you can even think about it:
- Water Is The Enemy Of Your Gun: Never use water or water-based solution to clean your guns. There are many ultrasonic cleaners available online that will clean your gun to shine like new. The traditional cleaning method with wet towels and detergents to remove the dirt and grime should not be applied to the guns.
- Don’t Take The Gun In The Rain: While taking your gun seems a good idea when the weather is not good, but actually, it isn’t. rain, snow, and moist air are the worst enemies of your gun. However, if you must take your guns in rain or snow, make sure you wrap them properly, preferably in sealed bags. And don’t forget to wipe them dry once you are back home.
- Beware of the Corrosive Ammo: Corrosive chemicals such as primers used in military weapons act as triggers for corrosion. This is because they build up the salts on your gun’s surface, making it more susceptible to decay. Using hand-loaded ammo is the best way to protect your guns for longer. If it is inevitable to use corrosive ammo, clean the guns thoroughly just after usage, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep the Cardboard Away: Storing guns in a cardboard box is a big mistake many guns owner make. Cardboard attracts moisture, which may eventually accumulate on your gun ‘safely’ placed in that cardboard. Never think about storing guns in cardboard boxes.
Guns are a valuable asset for every gun enthusiast, but they are made of iron, and that’s why they are susceptible to damage by rust. If you want to keep them in good condition, it is essential to protect them from atmospheric moisture, humidity, rain, and snow. And not to forget! Cleanliness is the first step of reasonable care.