As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a 500 lb. gun safe at home, then you know that moving it is not an easy task because of its bulkiness and weight. Sooner or later, you’ll have to move it from its spot because of cleaning, moving to another home, or for another reason. Yet, not many people know how to move a 500 lb gun safe.
A 500 lb. gun safe should be difficult to move. You don’t want thieves stealing it in the first place. However, there are times that you really need to move it and the problem now for you is how to move a 500 LB gun safe.
How to Move a 500 LB Gun Safe
There are tips that you can follow in order to move a 500 lb. gun safe properly and without causing any damage. After reading this article, you should have the knowledge of moving a 500 lb. gun safe by yourself or with help.
Get Additional Help
You’re dealing with a 500 lb. gun safe. Don’t expect to move it by yourself unless you’re Brian Shaw or physically fit enough to move it. Even if you’re just moving it across the room, it can still pose a risk like when you move it by yourself.
Having at least 3 strong able-bodied friends to help out isn’t a bad idea. You can even try using golf balls to move them. You could go grab some beers afterward and relax at your place.
Prepare the Necessary Moving Equipment
Part of the moving process is preparing the necessary equipment needed. Professionals use a variety of equipment specialized in moving heavy stuff. This equipment moves heavy objects easily and in a safe way. Consider using some of these:
- Electric stair-climbing equipment
- Pallet jacks
- Steel rollers
- Aluminum plates
- Heavy-duty hand trucks
- Heavy-duty appliance dolly
Depending on the layout of your home, the route you’re going to take, and where you’re going to place your gun safe, there are certain sets of equipment you need to use for easier moving. The only exceptions are heavy-duty hand truck and heavy-duty appliance dolly which is a must-have when you move a 500 lb gun safe from store to home.
Plan the Moving Strategy
A 500 lb. gun safe isn’t an easy task. If you’re going to buy a gun safe from the store or online, check and see whether they offer professional moving service to remove the hassle of placing it by yourself. It’s better to let professionals handle it rather than causing some accidents by yourself. Bolted gun safes require more work as you need to unbolt them before moving.
If you have the experience of moving heavy objects or the confidence to do so, you need to think about what steps you’ll have to do before trying to move a 500 lb. gun safe. Even though a 500 pound gun safe might be lighter than moving a 2000 pound gun safe, forcing your way through strength alone isn’t enough to move them and you might end up hurting yourself along the way.
Here are some tips for planning your moving strategy:
- Plan your route through the house beforehand and measure any doorway or narrow areas so that you’ll know if your 500 lb. gun safe along with moving equipment and manpower can pass through the tight space.
- Make sure if there are any staircases that they are solid enough. This means that it can withstand the weight of a 500 lb. gun safe plus the people who will be lifting it.
- Empty out the gun safe before the move. This will make the safe lighter and also prevent any damage from your valuable possessions during the move.
- Borrow or rent out a heavy-duty appliance dolly. This will make moving the 500 lb. gun safe a lot easier. Make sure you also have supporting straps and thick moving blankets.
- If you’re renting moving equipment or professionals, make sure you know the dimensions and weight of the gun safe for a smooth and safe transit.
- Wear safety shoes like close-toed shoes that have great traction to avoid slipping. It will also protect your feet in case the 500 lb. gun safe drops.
- Wear high-quality work gloves for better grip and protection.
- If you’re going to use a vehicle for moving the 500 lb. gun safe, make sure that the vehicle is capable of carrying a 500 lb. gun safe or you’ll end up with a broken car in the middle of the road.
How to Move a Safe by Yourself
Well, if you’re all alone by yourself with no one to help you with, there are some tips you can follow for you to be able to move a 500 lb. gun safe by yourself.
- Prepare yourself for the move: Empty out all the items you got inside the gun safe to make it lighter. Wrap 1 or more thick blanket around the gun safe to minimize any property damage. Also, make sure that you have a heavy-duty appliance dolly as it will make the move a whole lot easier and you can’t expect to move a 500 lb. gun safe by yourself.
- To place the gun safe on the dolly, you need to tilt the gun safe to one side. Lean it towards a wall so that it has support while you slide the dolly underneath the gun safe. Wrap the safe with straps as tightly as possible. Then slowly place it to rest on the dolly to distribute the weight evenly. Make sure to check if it’s tied properly after moving it.
- If you’re going to have to climb a staircase when moving the gun safe, then don’t even attempt to do it by yourself. This is a risky part of moving a 500 lb. gun safe and requires 2 – 4 people to safely and successfully move it.
- Make sure you have protective gear on. You’re moving a 500 lb. gun safe by yourself so the chances of causing accidents are high.
- If you’re having hesitations or unsure of your moving plan, do yourself a favor and contact professional movers who will do the job for you a lot smoother.
Consider Other Options
Some gun and gun safe owners have taken into consideration of using golf balls to act as wheels for moving a gun safe. This doesn’t work at all. The golf balls can’t withstand the pressure of the weight of a 500 lb. gun safe and it can lead to holes on your floor because of the golf balls being pushed down.
Professional movers use long rectangular bars padded on the bottom to cushion the floor. It’s a layer of rectangular bars that makes pushing a 500 lb. gun safe a lot easier. While this does work, a heavy-duty appliance dolly is still more effective in comparison.
Moving a 500 LB gun safe isn’t that hard to do as long as you have the right equipment and plan. We strongly recommend you don’t attempt to move it by yourself. This might cause major accidents and damage to your home. Use moving equipment and your friends as manpower for a smooth and easy way to move a 500 lb. gun safe.