As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Firearms are prone to corrosion when exposed to high humidity. No matter if your gun is safely stored inside a gun safe, it will still be exposed to humidity. Which begs the question, how much humidity should be in a gun safe?
- How Much Humidity Should Be in a Gun Safe?
- Why You Should Use a Dehumidifier?
- What Dehumidifier to Use?
- Related Questions
How Much Humidity Should Be in a Gun Safe?
The NRA recommends having your gun safe at around 30% to 50% humidity. The room temperature should be around 70 degrees to prevent rust and corrosion. If the air becomes too dry or too moist, your gun might get damaged.
There are ways that you can control the humidity inside your gun safe. The best way to do it is to use a dehumidifier. You should not try to ignore humidity and keep the humidity at the recommended levels.
Yes, you will be spending a bit of money on some tools and installation. However, it also prolongs and preserves the usage life of your firearms. You will be thankful that your gun works effectively when you needed it most instead of it malfunctioning because of rust.
How to Measure Humidity in a Gun Safe
The most convenient way to measure humidity in a gun safe is by using a hygrometer. It’s a tool for measuring humidity or the amount of water vapor in the air. This tool is easy to use and comes cheap.
You can even install a gun safe hygrometer so it will always measure the humidity inside. Monitoring excessive moisture can warn you if your guns and valuables will be exposed to rust and corrosion.
Why You Should Use a Dehumidifier?
Here are some reasons why you should use a dehumidifier:
- Helps with maintaining humidity levels the way you want them to be
- Prevents molds from forming
- Prevents water from forming inside your gun safe.
If you are looking for a gun safe, chances are you have some valuables you want to store and protect. What’s the point of storing it when it can get damaged inside? Hence, dehumidifiers are a great investment in keeping your gun safe in your home.
What Dehumidifier to Use?
There are many ways you can control the humidity and temperature inside a gun safe. Mostly it will be dehumidifiers.
EvaDry dehumidifiers contain unique crystals that absorb moisture and maintain humidity levels. They are available in different sizes and are renewable. When it’s time to change, the blue crystals will turn into pink and you will need to recharge the canister.
- ✔ EASY TO USE & COMPLETELY RENEWABLE: Just hang or place and go! This mini dehumidifier is 100%...
- ✔ MINI DEHUMIDIFIER GOES A LONG WAY: Works for areas up to 333 cubic feet. Your small rooms and...
- ✔ SMALL, SLEEK, ECO-FRIENDLY DESIGN: This portable small design lets you hang or conveniently...
The desiccant dehumidifier also absorbs moisture. They’re generally small and cheap. Desiccant dehumidifiers are not great for long-term use. You also need a number of desiccant packs of them placed around the gun safe to increase effectiveness.
- Ultra high capacity desiccant/dehumidifier/dryer for gun safes.
- Enough drying capacity for even the largest gun safes.
- Easily rechargeable in a home convection oven.
Dehumidifier rods are designed to control the heat inside the gun safe. They can warm up the air. Dehumidifiers are tricky to use, and sometimes they can be faulty. They come in different lengths.
You have to match the length of the dehumidifier rod with the size of your gun safe. For example, you need to use a 12-inch rod for a 20 cubic feet gun safe.
- SPECS: 24 inches long with a 110-120 volt AC plug, 6 foot power cord to protect up to 300 cubic feet
- EASE OF USE: Rod features attachable legs for placement and a cord with a quick plug attachment to...
- SECURE: Protects your firearms all while fitting in the smaller, less usable areas of the safe
What Is a Safe Humidity Level for a Gun Safe?
The general safe humidity level for a gun safe is 50%. There are some places where if humidity levels rise above 50%, rust can form. Hence, it’s always great to check on your gun safe humidity from time to time when you have valuables inside.
How Long Does a Gun Safe Dehumidifier Last?
Some gun safe dehumidifiers can last for 10 years and even more. Most are disposable ones that are discarded after use. For example, a typical disposable desiccant dehumidifier can last up to a day of use. Afterward, it loses its effectiveness.
Keeping your gun safe at safe humidity levels will help protect what’s inside from rust and corrosion. While the contents of your gun safe are protected from thieves, you should also protect it from nature by installing a dehumidifier.