If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Buying the right hand priming tool can be overwhelming sometimes, even for veteran gun owners. There are many options available in the market and you might have to spend a lot of time before finding one that clicks with your needs and budget. That is why we prepared this guide to help you find a hand priming tool that is the best fit for you.
- Our Best Hand Priming Tools
- Best Overall Hand Priming Tool: Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool
- Best Hand Priming Tool for Money: RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool
- Best Cheap Hand Priming Tool: Lyman Products E-ZEE Universal Hand Priming Tool
- Best Durable Hand Priming Tool: RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool
- What to Look for in an Excellent Hand Priming Tool
Our Best Hand Priming Tools
Regardless of your preference, we have done a complete review and comparison of the best hand priming tools in the market, and we have found the following to be the best for most people.
Best Overall Hand Priming Tool: Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool
If you are looking for a hand priming tool that includes a little bit of every essential feature, we recommend the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool. This tool has won the hearts of most gun owners due to its innovativeness, effectiveness, ease of use, and durability.
We particularly love how versatile this tool is. This hand priming tool is suitable for both large and small primers. It comes with extra three slots in addition to the 12 that act as holders. In some scenarios, the shell holder may be wrongly cut. However; you can change the slots with your preferred shell holders.
Secondly, you will love how easy it is to use The Arsenal Platinum. The thumb release system is fast, so you can change between large and small primers easily. Moreover, the seating system is adjustable and it can fit in your hand correctly, making it easy to use in any condition. It also features a hard stop that you can easily use to protect your primer from over crashing.
The manufacturer clearly used top-quality materials to make this hand priming tool durable while maintaining high performance, which is quite an accomplishment. These materials are cast with heavy-duty zinc, and the internal components consist of steel making it a favorite purchase for people looking for a priming tool that can stick around for a long time.
This is an excellent choice for rifles and pistols cases and will give you fast and accurate results without extra effort. While it is more expensive than other options in this guide, we are confident that it offers the right hand priming experience.
What We Like
- Additional shell holders incorporated
- High-quality materials for additional durability
- Easy to use for all sorts of reloaders
- Hard stop feature to prevent prime crashing
What We Don’t Like
- It is costly
- The shell holders can be cut incorrectly
- SPECS: Comes with 12 shell holders to cover the most popular cases and the self-righting primer tray...
- VERSATILITY: Works with both small and large primers and the case includes 3 extra posts so you can...
- EASE OF USE: A quick thumb release system allows you to switch from small to large primers easily...
Best Hand Priming Tool for Money: RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool
While there are plenty of hand priming tools for reloading in the market, the RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool will give you a lot to work with. With modern innovation and enhancement, the device is one of the best hand primers if you are looking for a great value for your money.
You will undoubtedly love this priming tool for reloading because it is one of the most versatile when compared to other models in the same price range. It features a safe plug that you can easily adjust to fit either small or big primers while reloading.
Standard shell holders take care of the shells featured in the reloading priming tool. Although it may be difficult to adjust the shell holders at first, you will quickly get used to it after frequent usage.
It is also easy to use this reloading tool. Once you find a rhythm that you are comfortable with, you can seat as many primers as the device can hold. It also gives you a good grip, and the pressure being given out will notify you when your prime seat is full. Moreover, this reloading tool’s safety gate provides you leverage by allowing the blocking of any excess primers from the primer tray.
Lastly, this hand primer can hold up to 100 primers, saving you the time you could have spent refiling. This makes it our top recommendation for gun owners looking for a hand priming tool for reloading that strikes a great balance between budget and usability.
What We Like
- It gives you great value for your money
- Ergonomic to make it easy and comfortable to use
- The safety gate and box virtually protects the primers from primer tray detonation
- Its capacity makes sure that you save a lot of time in the reloading process
- Suitable for both large and small primers
What We Don’t Like
- Shell holders are sold separately from the hand primer
- It may take some time to fully adjust when using it
- Made of The highest quality materials
- Hand priming tool
- Seats primers quickly and safely
Best Cheap Hand Priming Tool: Lyman Products E-ZEE Universal Hand Priming Tool
Gun owners on a budget understand the hassle of finding a good priming tool without breaking the bank. Luckily, we found the Lyman Products E-ZEE Universal Hand Priming Tool to be very affordable without compromising on performance.
This Universal Hand Priming Tool features two different trays that you can easily change depending on the size of the primers. Each shelf has its own inbuilt small or large punch assembly. During the changeover, the in-built shut off gates in each tray keep the primers in place. This also makes sure that there are no small parts to lose or fuss with or tray detonation.
If you are seating multiple primers, you will enjoy the comfort offered by the best hand priming tools. Its all-metal body makes it durable and comfortable to use. It works well with any shell holder of your preference. Although, the accuracy of the hand primer is not often 100% you won’t face any major problems with this tool while it gets the job done.
You don’t always have to blow your budget in order to get a good hand priming tool for reloading. If you are not ready to invest in the more advanced hand priming tools for reloading, we think this Universal Priming Tool will make for a great companion. The shells are a bit fragile and you might want to make sure you exert reasonable amounts of pressure during the seating process to avoid crushing them.
What We Like
- Suitable to buy when under a tight budget
- Very easy and comfortable to use
- Great with both small and big primers
- Enhanced safety measures by the in-built shut off gates
- Suitable to use with any shell holders
- Made from high-quality materials for added durability
What We Don’t Like
- The accuracy of the hand primer is slightly below average
- The primers can at times be challenging to feed leading to overcrowding at the gate trays
- Shell holders are sold separately
- System works with Standard shell holders
- Allows instant changeover between primer sizes
- Includes two primer trays that incorporate their own built-in large or small primer punch assembly
Best Durable Hand Priming Tool: RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool
While you can use the products in this guide for a long time, the RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool got our attention as the most durable option. This tool combines high-quality metal materials with accuracy, comfort, and ease of use to give you one of the best hand primers available.
Apart from the durability, you will also fall for the single-stage lever system. This makes it fairly easy to use, even for beginners. You can easily find your priming rhythm when using the single staged, progressive, or the turret feature in the 9460.
We also love the automation ability that makes the whole priming process much more flexible and faster. You can save time by skipping priming processes like ensuring the primer is set correctly. You can also quickly reload the priming tool in one minute.
With the enhanced grip system, you can easily use the tool in the comfort of your seat without feeling numb or exhausted.
In addition to the primer’s comfort, we also found it really versatile due to its compatibility with different shell holders. However, it is essential to make sure that the make and design of the shell holders are similar to the RCBS one before trying to attach them.
It may take a while before you learn to mount the shell holders accurately so we recommend you use the original cases from the manufacturer.
This hand priming tool is excellent for rifles and pistols cases and will give you fast and accurate results without extra effort. While you may have to pay extra bucks for this elegant tool, the value you get from it is unmatched.
What We Like
- Very easy to use even at the comfort of your seat
- Enhanced to make it more durable
- It has slots that you can incorporate Shell holders
- Save you precious time since it has an automatic process
- Good for all beginners
What We Don’t Like
- It is costly
- The cases design may restrict shell holders from other manufactures
- The auto feeder may fail in some circumstance
- RCBS 9460 auto priming tool
- Item weighs 2.25 pounds
- Manufactured by RCBS
What to Look for in an Excellent Hand Priming Tool
Getting the right-hand priming tool will make sure that you are done with primers installation within a few minutes. It is, therefore, vital to consider the following features to help you that you select the best hand priming tool.
The kind of hand priming tool that you choose could be your long term reloading companion. You will use the tool to prime more than 200 times so you need something reliable. Consider the materials used to make the tool before making the purchase.
Metal primers are often suitable, while some even feature enhanced internal components. Be on the lookout for the manufacturing material to make sure you only get the tool that will maintain its quality even after thousands of casings.
One of the most essential features that a hand priming tool should have is a good shell holder. The cases help you save enormous time during the priming process.
Some hand primers often come with shell holders, while others have slots that you can attach the holders. Always look at the design of the equipment to make sure that it can support your preferred shell holder.
In case the hand primer provides a shell holder, consider if it can support brass cases and if you can replace them with other holders from different manufactures.
While most people tend to rely on the pressure exacted by the primer to determine if the shell is full, sometimes it can be hard to read the weight.
An excellent hand primer will often come with a safety feature that you can easily use so that that the shells are safe from any damage. The trays should also have a safety mechanism to avoid damage during the changing process.
Consult an expert about the hand primer’s safety so that you only get the one with the best safety measure.
Comfort And Ease Of Use
A complicated hand primer will give you a hard time. Make sure you get a hand priming tool that you are comfortable to use for an extended period. The handgrip should also be convenient to prevent your hand from going numb.
Whether you are a pro or just getting your feet wet with priming, this guide will help you get the best hand priming tool.
While the advantages are many, you should also consider the disadvantages to get a clearer picture of which hand priming tool will be the best fit for your specific needs.